Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy New Year <--- How Original!!!




     Sometimes I wonder if I'm really a cowgirl.
     I've always had this ability to totally immerse myself in my surroundings. If I'm outside doing 'outdoorsy' things, I suddenly want to ride the rapids down a wild river, slap on some turquoise, and perhaps wear a long braid, while I work out my arms rowing.
     When I'm riding a horse, I totally feel like that is what I am meant to do. Train horses. Heck, I'm a Kentucky girl after all. Maybe even show horses.
     I also feel like there is a part of me that should be living in a flat in New York trying to make it as a writer. But there is an equally strong part of me that feels maybe I should have been born back during the Civil War, except for the corsets...(nevermind).
     I haven't decided if this means at 40 I still haven't really discovered who I am, or if I simply have an open mind and like to try new things and experience life to the fullest. I'm going with the latter.
     I suppose it could possibly mean that I am simply very susceptible to the power of suggestion. Because I promise you that those HSN people can show me the ugliest 'Mother's Ring" in the world, and within thirty minutes I'm pretty sure my happiness depends on my purchasing it.
     The point that I hope I'm eventually getting around to is that I absolutely love the promise of a New Year where anything wild and wonderful can happen. It doesn't matter if your regular day consists of carpools and laundry, you can truly do amazing and life changing things.
     You can get in the best shape ever (stay with me, I can fantasize), make a positive difference in someones life, a difference that you may know about or that you may never discover, but very real and important nevertheless. This might be the year for discovering your true passion, or leaving your comfort zone and stepping outside the box and realizing that you should have stepped out a very long time ago.
     For some reason, even though January 1, is just another day, there is just something about it that promises possibilities and opportunity.
     I read a quote the other day by G.K. Chesterton. He said, "The object of a new year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul."
     The new year is an opportunity to wipe our slate clean and do what we have been doing, but do it much better, or to do something altogether different.
     I think something altogether different sounds pretty darn exciting.
     As author Mary Oliver urges, "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?'
     That clock is ticking. Let's get to it.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment