Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Learning in the Dark

I have made it no secret my disgust for Trump. At times I have railed against him out loud, admonishing his behavior,  character, and treatment of others knowing that to be silent is to be complicit. At other times I have been utterly disgusted and ejected myself from the political arena knowing my opinions of what type of person he is won’t change the opinion of those who like what they see in Trump. I haven’t gone back to writing for a long time. Why? I have been so angry with everything swirling around us. So it’s shocking for me to realize and to even acknowledge that in some ways I should actually be thankful for Trump. Stay with me here. I guess there truly is a silver lining in pretty much everything, because though it sounds crazy, in ways he has made me a better person.
*With every lie he has told, it has made me value honesty, people who are honest, and has made me evaluate what true honesty is.
*Watching his horrific treatment of others has made me think outside of my own cushy world, empathize with others who I rarely considered, and want to try to do more in my one dance through this world.
*Watching Trump’s behavior and watching others’ responses to him has made me deeply evaluate what I feel a true Christian is and how a true Christian acts and responds to the world.
*He has made me realize how much hate and anger there are in this world, and how much more love and kindness is needed.
*He has reminded me how much words matter, how intensely words can lift others or diminish them, and reminded me how much words can have lifelong effects.
*He has made me re-evaluate how important free thinking, intellectual questioning, and thoughtful consideration are. He has highlighted how easy it is to get caught up in something and to follow the crowd, and how we must always be diligent while monitoring our actions and how they affect others.
*He has allowed me to watch the many players in the public eye responding to him over the past couple of years which has served as a reminder how many times doing the right thing will cause you strife, extreme anxiety, and may cause you to have to give up important things you have worked for in your life. But in the end, you will walk away with your dignity, your honor, and your ability to sleep peacefully at night. Nothing else is worth that.
*I have discovered that sometimes you have wonderful things in common with people whom you would never expect, and sadly vice versa.
*He has made me realize that people will show you who they really are if you pay attention.

*And finally, he has made me realize that not only do I not want to be even remotely close to who Trump is or what he stands for, but also that I want to strive to be an even better version of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment