Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tail Between My Legs

Stop. Close your eyes. Do you feel it? Do you know what that is? Yes, you are right. It's the Earth spinning backwards on its axis. I have a confession to make, and with my head bowed and my tail between my legs, I will admit it. I bought a Kindle today. Most who know me would admit that it would be more likely to see the Chick-fil-A cows holding "Eat More Hamburgers" signs than it would be for me to read from anything other than a real book, magazine, or newspaper. Other than the occasional stain that I can't identify as being blood, something from someone's nose, or spaghetti sauce, there is absolutely NOTHING I don't love about tangible books.Yes, it has been me who has been the anti-technology queen. I rant and rave about video games and the downfall of our children. I have been known to take away my child's DS for months at a time. The horrible result? He played more basketball outside and read even more books. Is it a coincidence that as we get XBoxes, and DSi's, and texting becomes more popular, our childhood obesity problem grows? I don't think so. I think kids should be skipping rocks and riding bikes, not figuring out how to beat the top score on Mario. I've always considered myself old school on so many things. So for me to get a Kindle was a really hypocritical move.
      I was possibly the last person to get any sort of iPod, and I still have less than 100 songs on it anyway. I was in the Mayfield High School class of 1990, the last class able to graduate without having to take a computer class. Needless to say, when I got to college English 101 and we all had PC's, I almost hyperventilated. I was one of the last to get a Smartphone, and got my first iPhone this Christmas. I still don't really understand how to work apps. And was embarrassed that just today I had to ask my husband to fully explain Wifi to me. I even used to pronounce it wrong, thinking it might be called "wiffy." I am like one of those little old women who thinks milk should still be delivered to your door or that they don't make good movies like they used to. And I know that to those of you who know me, who know how much I LOVE the smell of books, the texture of the pages, perusing the library or book stores, and who know that 2nd & Charles is like the mother ship calling me home---I must explain. 
     Sometimes I look on the computer for psychological thrillers that interest me. In the past few weeks, I have come across two books with wonderful reviews that I desperately want to read. Imagine my horror when I found out THEY DON'T COME IN A TANGIBLE FORM! This absolutely horrified me! Like some science fiction chapter out of Farenheit 451  from my junior year that seemed so futuristic it was ridiculous. A book that you can't hold even if you want to??? HATE it.
     But what has always driven my love of books is curiosity. Sometimes when I walk into a big old library or even a bookstore, it's almost as if the books are whispering to me (no, I haven't been drinking), "Read me." You know how some books can change your life? Or change your way of thinking? Just one line in a book, any kind of book, can help you learn something about yourself. And after that, everything is different. Well, just the mere idea that there is a book out there that I can't read unless I have some sort of e-reader greatly troubled me. It troubled me enough to actually buy one of the darn things.
     So after Facebooking everyone for their opinions, reading online reviews, and sitting on the floor of Barnes and Noble like I was in some sort of trance, I finally broke down and bought a Kindle. I bought the cheapest, most basic Kindle they have. The reason for this is because for the occasional times I have to read from my Kindle, that means I want to get lost in a book, with no distractions. I didn't want the frills. When I am reading I want to lose myself. I don't want to know if I have an e-mail or a Facebook post. I want to think I am Clarisse about to catch Hannibal Lecter.
     And no matter how much I start to LIKE my Kindle. I will never LOVE it like I love actual books. I even bought two hardback new releases today just to prove I'm not a complete traitor:)

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about books! I haven't bought a kindle but I hear they are wonderful. Do not be so hard on yourself...enjoy your KINDLE AND your new hardbacks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a basic Nook...what I love most about it is that at any time, day or night, I can get the book I want. I finished reading "The Hunger Games" (hardcover from the library!) at 10 one night, so I just logged onto Barnes and Noble and got the 2nd book in the series. I still would rather read actual books, but the gadgets are nice too!

    ReplyDelete