Total Pageviews

Monday, April 9, 2012

It's All Good


Nothing quite screams Easter like a Mommy Dearest moment right before worship.

But if my children keep misplacing their shoes...I'm. Not. Going. To. Make. It.

Of course, if I were organized like those mommies that make homemade salad dressing and iron sheets, then I would have done the minimal organizational mommy step of laying out their Easter outfits the night before.

I guess you can figure out what happened with that one.

So it's time for us to leave the house and I am flying around the house covered in a sheen of sweat, digging through piles like a rabid cat in a litter box.

Finally, I grab a horrific pair of weathered sneakers and ascertain that it's either those, or we come up with some sort of Batman water-shoe theme. Everything suddenly becomes too much and I flip out. I start ranting and raving about how nobody cares about anything and how they will probably use part of the Easter offering to buy my five-year-old new shoes.

My rant went on for quite a while and no one even argued with me. I may have even been arguing with myself, I'm not sure.

As we headed to church, I downed a healthy breakfast of Coke and packaged peanut butter and crackers and mentally asking myself why, oh why, I can't be more organized and stop hitting the alarm for a few more minutes of slumber. I even had the audacity to argue with my husband about how it won't take me that long to get ready and that I had plenty of time. I always underestimate exactly how much my hair hates me.

As we drove down the road, no one challenged me. Maybe they figured that at any moment I would smear red lipstick all over my face and start ranting like Joan Crawford about wire hangers.

Finally, we made it to church--late, but we were finally there. I settled into my seat, crossed my legs, and looked down. That is when I discovered that apparently my razor has missed one particular spot on my knees in perhaps the last ten shaves. Seriously, Katniss and Peeta could have sought shelter there in the Arena.

Despite the rough start, this past Easter Sunday ended up being one of the best days ever. I think it's because I finally decided that I would just let go, stop worrying if everything was perfect, and roll with it. Something about perception being your reality.

So we didn't have new outfits and the kids looked a little ruffled. That's irrelevant to what Easter is all about anyway. We didn't gather for a family Easter picture, because all of you with kids know that if you are already having a rough start to your day, that could flat out send you straight into the arms of a straight jacket. We didn't have an Easter ham, we had Easter hamburgers. We spent the rest of the day outside in the sunshine, doing absolutely nothing in particular.

The day ended up surprisingly perfect.

Thanking God for everything you have doesn't mean you have to have the perfect outfit or cook a big meal.

I learned that I simply need to relax more and roll with the punches.
Shaving my knees wouldn't hurt either:)

No comments:

Post a Comment