Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Frazzled Schmazzled

I always, always say I am going to simplify for Christmas, but I NEVER seem to pull it off. I am NOT organized, and seem to live spontaneously and chaotically. This usually does not make for a relaxed Christmas season for sure.

But this year, I am determined, will be different. And shockingly, so far so good. (Yes. I know it's only December 3. Just shhhhhh.)

1. First and foremost, our Christmas elf isn't here. And guess what? No one has really mentioned him much.  I did, at one point, ask my youngest if he wanted the elf to come. He said, "Kinda." So that, to me, translates into, "He can wait a week or two before Christmas to eventually come." So many people are sick of this tedious elf tradition, but remember, YOU are the boss of your elves!!! They can come if and when you want them to! Or, like an episode of Lost, you can even kill them off...KIDDING!

2. I have a group of dear friends that I love so, so much. And truly, I would LOVE to pick each one of them out a gift that she loves. But, as the woman on YouTube says, "Ain't nobody got time for that!" Therefore, this season I am hosting a very small gathering where we will each bring ONE gift which we will swap during a spirited game of Dirty Santa. And if everyone just wants to just sit and talk and eat chocolate and take home their own gift, I'm good with that too. So...be sure you bring something you like for your own self ladies!!!!

3. This year, I am not room mom for both of my boys. In fact, I am only room mom for one and not even the only room mom. Last year I tried to do it for both children. It was all fine and dandy throughout the school year until Christmas, and then I was so overwhelmed I wanted to curl up and suck my thumb in my closet. This year when the school signup lists were out, for once, I listened to myself.

4. I'm trying to stay off Pinterest. One year I became all crafty during the holidays, which would have been fine if I hadn't been routinely getting my craft on at 1 and 2 am. This year I am limiting my Christmas browsing. In fact, I may only look for yummy recipes. But they will be SIMPLE. If it even involves separating an egg, I'm moving along...

5. Just like the past two years, we will have our "Christmas Dinner" on Christmas Eve. Christmas day is for staying in pajamas, playing with new toys, soaking in the magic of the day, snacking and napping, and family... NOT sweating it out in the kitchen. The only stress I want to endure on Christmas day is possibly screaming at a new tablet and trying to figure out why I am so inherently stupid with all things technological.

6. All pre-Christmas gatherings will be potluck. Because...why not?

What I am ATTEMPTING to do this Christmas season is to slow it down, relax, and spend more quality time with the family. Every night in December I am going to try to have the whole family spend special time together. It's not going to be special time making impressive crafts off Pinterest. I'm not printing out special Polar Express tickets which summon my children to the car in their jammies for hot chocolate and a special ride around the town looking at Christmas lights. We may look at lights, but I'm not making special tickets, and hot chocolate in my car would be a tongue-burning disaster. We may not construct a jaw-dropping Christmas card with pressed shirts (people iron?), twinkling eyes, and impeccable smiles, but we might all pile up in messy pillows in front of the fire and read.

So far, our special time has been coming together at the kitchen table and playing a heated game of Farkle. No cute crafts were made, there were no magic cooking moments together worthy of a tear-jerking Publix commercial. Just a heated, risk- taking dice game complete with one child finding delight in anything sounding like it alludes to passing gas as he repeatedly reminded us "It's not polite to Farkle at the table."

And that is just fine. Because Christmas doesn't have to be about excessive baking and shopping and busyness.

It's about baby Jesus, and giving, and family. Plain and simple.
It doesn't have to involve complicated meals, carefully planned Norman Rockwell moments, or staged perfection.

This Christmas I hope we have a messy, fun, real Christmas.

And it might just be our best one ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment