Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Get it Together Hollywood

Quick comments tonight because FINALLY I am starting to get sleepy at a reasonable hour, and after a long, hard couple of months of insomnia, I feel like I need to take advantage of being groggy. But after hearing Adele sing on the Grammy's, I just had to comment. First off, I just find her absolutely captivating. Her voice is unbelievable. I'm not sure there is anyone who can deny that. But I didn't realize how absolutely beautiful she is. Stunning. I'm talking Elizabeth Taylor stunning. And I told my husband this as we were sitting there.

I find it absolutely unbelievable how Hollywood continues to turn into lollipops. Huge heads with anorexic looking bodies. This is happening to people more and more and to people who have always been an ideal size. It's like they get older and suddenly begin starving themselves because they think it will make them look better and younger and it only does the opposite. I've already heard of girls (thin, pretty girls) in elementary school who are talking about being fat. It is incredibly sad. Painfully sad.

When I think back to all of the people I consider GREAT beauties (and this list does not include Demi Moore or Kate Moss) I think of Sophia Loren, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Jaclyn Smith, even Christie Brinkley and Cindy Crawford. And the one thing they all have in common is that all of them were gorgeous, and all of them looked like REAL women. They looked healthy. I'm sure they also exercised and took care of their bodies by eating right, and none of them, not ONE of them looked sickly and thin and drank Red Bulls constantly or made themselves vomit to be skinny. To me, overly skinny does not look healthy. Overly skinny is NOT healthy. It makes women look older, wrinkly, unhealthy, and haggard. Not to mention that if they actually are anorexic, their lives are hanging in the balance.

Of course not everyone has the same body type. There are women who are eating a helathy number of calories and working out, who will NEVER EVER be a size 6. And if you are healthy, who cares if you wear a 2 or a 12? Healthy is healthy. I am NOT one of these people who thinks it's okay to eat junk, not exercise, and just embrace your bigger self. That is not a healthy message to send either. And that is why America is so obese. It seems like all the messages being sent are all wrong, and are one extreme or the other. "Big is beautiful, it's great to be big, and if you don't like it tough," isn't exactly what we want to teach our kids. Otherwise, they will eat Cheetos and play the Xbox all day. But we also don't want to say that thin is the only way to be. That only teaches kids to go to whatever length they have to-- to be thin. And that is a very scary and dangerous message to send.

Why can't we somehow find a way to teach kids to eat right, exercise, and know that HEALTHY is beautiful whether it's a size 2 or 12? We can put a man on the moon but we can't get this message across? I once got down to a size 4 (which is great on some body types) but was way too skinny on me. (Obviously this occurred a long time ago...ha!) Anyway, stress was the cause of my new smaller size, but I literally was questioned if I was anorexic. I had to have an MRI over it all. And I will be the first to say, I looked HORRIBLE. I truly did.

Other cultures have such a healthier mind set when it comes to women and beauty. Why can't we get with the program?

Oh, and by the way, that list of great beauties? I'm adding Adele.

And just remember, Michelangelo painted voluptous women, not lollipops downing Red Bull and scary diet pills...just sayin'.

Sleep tight!
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment