Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

I'm Weird and I Know It. (Get the beat going in your head.)

People can pretty much be divided into two categories: those who have covered their hands in Elmer's glue and peeled it off, and those--who sadly--have not.
 
I was floored this weekend when I discovered that my husband had NEVER done this. It was pretty obvious that he had not when he watched me settle down all comfy in front of the TV with my hands covered in Mod Podge. I had just completed a Pinterest project that went awry, and I wasn't about to let the event end in a total loss. I was going to have myself a little fun.

I found it completely fascinating that there was anyone, especially someone in my own home, who had never done this. I truly thought everyone had. I boldly stated that I was certain that at least 80% have done this. My husband, however, was just as confident that many people had absolutely NOT done this.
 
So, folks, this is a blog on which I'm going to need some comments? Am I in the minority? I seriously want to know this.
So after being shocked that I might not be in the majority on this one, I started thinking of all of the odd things I did growing up. I began questioning my husband about various odd behaviors...

"Have you ever eaten Play-Doh?" He had not. I told him it was salty. He was glad to hear it. "Did you ever hum in class at your desk with your mouth closed while nonchalantly doing your homework to make your teacher think she was hearing things or going crazy?" Ummm, no again.
 
I didn't even ask him about tasting paper mache. And I especially would never tell him that it was when I was a senior in high school preparing for our play in which I played a nerd. I know, it's a stretch.
 
My husband is older than me. We have the whole May/December romance thing going. And that is a good thing. He is mature, I am not. When I do crazy things, he merely shakes his head. And I'm here to tell you people, he shakes his head a lot.
 
Just the other say I said, "It's good I have fingernails, now that I've grown them out. Now if someone attacks me I can for sure get their DNA."
 
Head shake.
 
I guess that's better than smiling and saying, "Sometimes you act as crazy as a run over dog." Which he has said to me, by the way. But he says it with love.
 
But I suppose I simply embrace my craziness. One of my favorite quotes I have hanging on my refrigerator states, "The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." I TOTALLY believe that. Totally. I just happen to be one of those people who embrace my craziness. And hey, as long as you think you are crazy then you really aren't, right?
 
So I suppose some of these "quirks" as I like to call them have carried over into adulthood.
 
So I've started thinking of other odd things I do, and I guarantee that some of you out there are with me on some of these. Others, perhaps not.
 
I'll begin with one of the most odd, and *sigh* this is really putting myself out there. Here we go...I cannot bear to leave one vegetable on my plate. I imagine that it feels left out. That there is a whole party going on in my stomach that this one veggie is distraught over. That it is wondering what it did wrong. This all began when I was little. I don't know if someone said this to me, or if I came up with it on my own. Sometimes when I simply couldn't bear to stomach that last and final morsel, I would just rip in in half and make it into two.  I chose to think I was creating a "friend" for that last vegetable. Others might see it as vegetable dismemberment. If I had thought about this too much, this might have been a bit disturbing. Like something Jeffrey Dahmer might have done as a child.
 
I have even used this to try to get my youngest to eat lima beans. I used that crazy song from Yo Gabba Gabba. "There's a party in my tummy...so yummy, so yummy." So I told my four year old that there were limas in his tummy having a party and the other ones were feeling left out. He wasn't buying it. A few minutes later I heard him having a discussion with his lima beans. He pointed at them and said, "You are NOT invited to my birthday party, and you NEVER will be!" So much for that idea. He must really hate limas.
 
We also have an eyeball stuck to our ceiling. One of the kids during a Halloween party threw the pretend Halloween sticky eyeball up to the ceiling and it stuck. It is shockingly sticky. Beats anything I've ever seen. Anyone in her right mind would stand on a chair and take the darn thing down. Not me. I am fascinated by it. Even during Christmas, the celebration of the birth of our Savior, there was a big sticky eyeball right there on the ceiling that seems to be staring at you when you enter the room. I'm sorry, but that puppy is not going anywhere. My own personal goal is next Halloween. Let's see if it happens. There is no reward if it does. Just a personal accomplishment.
 
That no one would understand.
 
Have a great and quirky day tomorrow!
 
Melissa D.

2 comments:

  1. You make me laugh so hard! I've done ALL those things AND I have a sticky hand on my ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Traci, you are too sweet. At some point, we simply have to end up living near each other. You would fit in PERFECTLY with my friends here. Perfectly!!! Like a piece of a puzzle!!! We laugh so much!

    ReplyDelete